These blueberry blondies are bursting with blueberries in every bite. They are moist, gooey and aromatic. With only a few ingredients you can bake them easily. The aroma will take over in your house and you’ll love it. The star ingredient of these blondies is blueberry. Love blueberries? Try my Old-Fashioned Blueberry Muffins, Blueberry Cake with Lemon Glaze, Starbucks Blueberry Scones (Copycat Recipe), Blueberry Muffins and Baked Blueberry Donuts.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- They are super easy to make with a few ingredients.
- They are made in just 30 minutes.
- They are super moist, tender, gooey and super yummy.
- Take them to any party, picnic or a brunch.
what are blondies?
- Dessert Bars: Blondies are dessert bars just like brownies and interestingly they were invented a decade earlier than brownies. Although it resembles brownies but there is a difference in texture and taste.
- Use of Vanilla & Brown Sugar: Blondies have vanilla in place of chocolate and brown sugar instead of white sugar. The brown sugar gives them the chewiness.
- Main Difference Between Brownies and Blondies: is that the blondies do not contain any type of chocolate, chocolate chips or cocoa powder.
- Variations: There is a lot that can be achieved with blondies. You can add nuts like pecans and walnuts, or go for candy bites, dried fruits, crushed oreos and fruits just like blueberries in these bars.
ingredients & substitutions for blueberry blondies
Pro Tip # 1
Always use room temperature ingredients for baking (unless otherwise specified) as they incorporate better and give perfect baked treats.
- All-purpose flour: helps with the structure of these blondies.
- Blueberries: used fresh or frozen blueberries. (Note: Do not thaw in case you are using frozen blueberries.) use raspberries or strawberries in the 1:1 ratio of blueberries in this recipe.
- Baking powder: used as the leavening agent in this recipe.
- Salt: balances the sugars and elevates the flavor.
- Butter: use high quality butter.
- White sugar + Brown sugar: the white sugar provides sweetness and the brown sugar gives moisture and molasses to these blondies.
- Cardamom Powder: the flavor will enhance the overall flavor of these blueberry blondies.
- Egg: acts as a binding agent in this recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: further enhances the flavor.
- Lemon juice + Lemon zest: gives a tangy and flavor.
Pro Tip # 2
Always use a digital scale to measure all-purpose flour and other dry ingredients for perfect results. Scooping it out directly using cups may result in uneven amount of dry ingredients and dense bakes.
- Nuts: use ½ cup of nuts of your choice such as pecans or walnuts in the batter.
- Biscuits: add Oreo biscuits or any other cookies of your choice. Add ⅓ cup of the crushed cookies.
how to make blueberry blondies
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, cardamom powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Whisk the castor sugar and brown sugar with lemon zest.
3. Using an electric beater melt butter with sugars for 3 – 4 minutes.
4. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract and the egg and beat again until combined.
5. Add the all purpose flour in the frozen blueberries and add into the batter.
6. Pour the batter into the 8-inch square pan.
7. Bake at 350 F for 30 - 35 minutes and let it cool for 30 minutes.
- Ice-cream: serve these blondies with a dollop of ice cream of your choice. I usually serve it with vanilla ice cream.
Yes, absolutely. I used frozen blueberries. If you are using frozen then do not thaw them. Just take them out of the freezer and add them into the batter.
how to store
- You can save it in an airtight container for about 3 – 4 days.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Place them in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag for up to 3 months.
related blueberry recipes
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
- 8-inch square pan.
- Mixing bowls
- Rubber spatulas
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Digital Scale
- Parchment paper.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour (120 g) + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (8 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (3 g)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (113 g)
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ cup brown sugar (100 g)
- ½ cup castor sugar (100 g)
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (10 ml)
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest (4 g)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (5 ml)
- 1 cup blueberries (148 g)
- Preheat the oven to350 F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take a medium sized bowl and sift together the flour, baking powder, cardamom powder and salt.
- In a large bowl beat the melted butter with white and brown sugar until combined well for 3 – 4 minutes. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract and the egg and beat again until combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries gently into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and place it onto the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean when inserted in the middle or center of the blondies.
- Place the pan on the wire rack and let the blondies cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving them.