This Roghni Naan is a Pakistani-style leavened flatbread which is traditionally served with curries in lunches and dinners. With just a few pantry-staple ingredients you can bake these naans easily. These naans have a light and fluffy texture with a golden crust and decorated with sesame and nigella seeds. Consume this bread with curries, soups and your favorite dips.
I have a thing for naans and flat breads and therefore you'll find recipes like Turkish Bread and Pakistani-style Chicken Bread on this blog. There is so much that you can do with naans or breads. Use them as-is, eat with curries and dips and soups and what not !
Traditionally in Pakistan these roghni naans are made in hot tandoor which are the hot clay ovens called Tandoor. Because we usually do not have a tandoor at home, we are using regular oven to bake these naans.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- This recipe requires just a few ingredients.
- It is super easy to bake these Roghni Naan.
- This bread has a soft, fluffy and pillowy texture with a crusty golden color.
- Try this naan with your favorite curries, dips, sauce or soups.
ingredients & substitutions for roghni naan
Pro Tip # 1
Always use room temperature ingredients for baking (unless otherwise specified) as they incorporate better and give perfect baked treats.
- All-purpose flour: the base of this recipe and provides structure to these naans.
- Active dry yeast: is the leavening agent in this recipe.
- Baking soda: helps with lifting the naans.
- Salt: enhances the overall taste.
- Castor sugar: helps to activate the yeast and enhances the flavor.
- Milk powder: helps with fluffy and light naans.
- Vegetable oil: You may substitute olive oil, butter or Ghee (clarified butter) in 1:1 ratio in this recipe.
- Yogurt: gives a tangy and rich flavor and also helps with a fluffy texture.
- Egg yolk: for brushing the naan before placing in the oven.
- Nigella seeds + Sesame seeds: to sprinkle over the naan.
Pro Tip # 2
Always use a digital scale to measure all-purpose flour and other dry ingredients for perfect results. Scooping it out directly using cups may result in uneven amount of dry ingredients and dense bakes.
how to make roghni naan
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Take a glass and add 2 tablespoon water, add castor sugar and yeast. Let it sit for 10 minute to proof.
In a mixing bowl add all-purpose flour, whole milk, salt and baking soda. Whisk.
Add in the vegetable oil and proved yeast mixture.
Add milk in the mixture and start kneading until it takes the shape of a dough.
Knead the dough on the kitchen counter or a wooden surface for about 10 minutes.
Place the dough in the mixing bowl and apply a layer of oil on it. Let it sit and proof for an hour until it is doubled in size.
Once the dough have proved, punch out the air and put it on the counter and roll it in the form of a log.
Make five dough balls out of it. Each ball should be around 130 - 140 g.
Roll out one dough ball at a time and cover the rest of the dough balls.
Place the rolled out dough on a silicone mat in the baking tray. Using the fingers place dents in a circle about an inch away from the edges.
Then make dents using the finger tips in straight lines inside the circle.
Apply the egg wash using a brush on the naans.
Sprinkle over the nigella seeds and sesame seeds on the bread.
Bake at 400 F for 10 - 12 minutes until the roghni naan turn golden on the top. Apply butter once out of the oven for shine.
Place Marks on Naan: Make sure to have deep dents or marks on each piece of bread and naan. This will avoid puffing and rising of the naan during the process of baking in the oven.
The roghni naan can be cooked on the stove top easily. Just prepare the doughs the way instructed and instead of placing them in the oven, place it on a preheated tawa or skillet. Your stove should be at medium heat. Once the naan has cooked from one side it will change the color slightly. It is time to flip it using a big spatula. Let the other side cook for some more minutes as well until both sides have golden color on the crust. Remove the naan from the tawa or skillet and apply butter.
how to store roghni naan
- Wrap the roghni naan in foil and it will stay good for 3 - 5 days in refrigerator.
- Wrap the naans in foil and it will stay fresh for up to three months in the freezer. When you want to serve it, take them out of the oven and thaw. Place the naans in the pan to heat or in a preheated oven at 350 for 5 - 7 minutes. You may splash some water on the naans before heating and it will help them to stay soft.
related bread recipes
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
- Silicone Mats
- Baking Tray
- Digital Scale
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing bowl.
- 3 cup all-purpose flour (360 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (3 g)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon powdered milk (32 g)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast (10 g)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (4 tablespoon/48 ml)
- 2 tablespoon yogurt (31 g)
- 2 teaspoon castor sugar (10 g)
- ½ - 1 cup milk lukewarm (100 F - 110 F)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- nigella seeds
- sesame seeds
- In a small glass or cup, add 4 tablespoon lukewarm milk, castor sugar and instant yeast. Give it a stir and let it rest 10 - 15 minutes to proof.
- Take a large bowl and whisk together the all-purpose flour, powdered milk, baking soda and salt together. Add in yogurt and yeast mixture and mix.
- Gradually add the lukewarm milk and knead until it comes together.
- Transfer the dough on the counter and using the palm of the hand press and knead the dough until it is smooth in about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Apply 1 teaspoon vegetable oil on the dough and let it sit to proof in a warm place for an hour until it is double in size.
- One the dough has risen, make 5 balls (130 g each) of the dough.
- Using a rolling pin roll out the dough ball to about 7 - 8 inches in diameter.
- Place the naan on silicone mats in the baking tray. Using your hands put dents in the dough bread.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolk and milk. Apply it on the rolled out dough.
- Sprinkle the nigella seeds and sesame seeds over it.