These muffins are bursting with banana and oozing chocolate chips and just the right treat for breakfast or evening tea sessions. The texture is light and fluffy and you only need 30 minutes to bake them. Love muffins? Try my Bisquick Banana Muffins, Vegan Blueberry Muffins, Peach Cobbler Muffins, Old-Fashioned Blueberry Muffins, Apple Cinnamon Muffins, Chocolate Chip Muffins and Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.
why this recipe works?
- These muffins are super quick and easy to bake.
- You need a few simple and basic ingredients to bake these muffins.
- These muffins have a moist, fluffy and light crumb.
- It is a 30-minute recipe.
- This is a one-bowl recipe.
- Perfect way to use the over-ripe bananas that are going bad.
- Kids will love these muffins. Pack it for their lunch or serve in the breakfast.
Table of Contents
ingredients & substitutions for banana chocolate chip muffins
Pro Tip # 1
Always use room temperature ingredients for baking (unless otherwise specified) as they incorporate better and give perfect baked treats.
- All-purpose flour: helps with the structure of these muffins. (Tip: always use a digital scale to measure the ingredients).
- Light brown sugar: the molasses in the brown sugar make the muffins moist and give caramel like flavor and sweetness.
- Baking powder: the leavening agent for these muffins.
- Salt: enhances the sweet flavor.
- Over-ripe bananas: used the over-ripe bananas for these muffins for intense flavor.
- Milk: use full-fat milk for these muffins. Use sour cream, yogurt or buttermilk instead of milk in the 1:1 ratio in this recipe.
- Butter: use unsalted high-quality butter.
- Eggs: are the binding agent for these
- Vanilla extract: enhances the overall flavor.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: adds the gooey chocolate taste to these muffins.
Pro Tip # 2
Always use a digital scale to measure all-purpose flour and other dry ingredients for perfect results. Scooping it out directly using cups may result in uneven amount of dry ingredients and dense bakes.
- Chocolate Chips: I use regular chocolate morsels for this recipe. You can replace it with mini chips, milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
- Pecans/Walnuts: You can add ½ cup of your favorite nuts in this recipe. I usually use pecans or walnuts.
- Cinnamon Powder: Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder to give it a cinnamon flavor.
- Cardamom: Add ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder for flavorful muffins.
- Raisins: Add ½ cup of raisins in these muffins.
- Dried Cranberries: Add in ½ cup of dried cranberries in the batter.
how to make banana chocolate chip muffins
- Step 1: Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and light brown sugar in a bowl.
- Step 2: Take a bowl and combine mashed bananas, milk, butter, eggs and vanilla together.
- Step 3: Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients . Add and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Step 4: Fill up the muffin liners with generous amount of batter.
- Step 5: Bake at 400 F for 7 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 375 F and bake for 18 - 22 minutes in total until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Do not Overmix: Do not overmix the batter as it will activate the gluten in the all-purpose flour and will result in tough and dense muffins.
Do not Overbake: Make sure to keep an eye on the muffins while they are in the oven. Insert a toothpick and see if it comes out clean. Overbaked muffins will have a dry texture.
Use overripe bananas: This recipe, as other banana baking recipes, calls for over ripe bananas. These are the bananas which have developed dark brown spots and are about to go bad. These over ripe bananas are packed with more flavor with intense aroma and are more nutritious. These overripe bananas are rich with high antioxidant and high Vitamin C levels as well.
Let the butter cool: Once the butter is melted, let it sit and cool before adding it to the batter. If you are running short on time, place the butter in the fridge for a while until the butter cools. If you add the hot melted butter with eggs and sugar, it will result in scrambled and cooked eggs.
Do not worry if you do not have that on the counter dark-browned (almost black-ish) ripened bananas. Turn on your oven at 350 F. Put your bananas on a baking tray and bake in the middle rack for 10 minutes. Let them cool completely before using.
No brown sugar, no problem. Replace the brown sugar with white sugar in equal amount. I use brown sugar as it makes moist and fluffy muffins.
Yes, you may. Replace the light brown sugar with dark brown sugar in the same ratio for these muffins.
Replace the butter with coconut oil to make these muffins dairy-free. Melt the coconut butter and use in the 1:1 ratio for butter.
Yes, feel free to use the frozen bananas for this recipe. Thaw the frozen bananas. Once thawed, they will release water, drain off the excess water as possible. Then peel and mash the bananas and use as instructed.
how to store
- These muffins will stay fresh on the counter for 3-4 days.
- The muffins will stay good in the fridge for up to a week.
- These muffins can be stashed in the freezer for up to 3 months. Wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and add a layer of foil to it before placing them in the freezer.
related muffins recipe
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 Muffin tray
- 1 Digital Scale
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 14 Muffin liners
- 1 medium-sized bowl
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour (300 g)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar (150 g) firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (15 g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bananas (about 3 medium sized) (300 g) mashed
- ½ cup full fat milk (100 g)
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter (85 g) melted
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (120 g)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray the muffin tin with bakers spray or put 12 liners in the muffin tin and set aside.
- Take a bowl and sift flour, baking powder and salt. Now add the light brown sugar and whisk together.
- In another bowl, combine mashed bananas, milk, butter, eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold until moistened. Fold in the chocolate morsels to it.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop out a generous amount to the muffins, filling the liners almost to the top.
- Bake for the first 7 minutes at 400 F and then reduce the temperature to 375 F. Baking at higher temperature in the beginning will help to create a dome shape for the muffins.
- Bake it for 18 - 22 minutes in the middle rack of the oven or until the wooden skewer inserted comes out clean. Take out the muffin pan and let the muffins cool for about 5 minutes in the pan before transferring them on the wire rack and cool completely before serving.