Are you craving for a quick treat that you can make with a few pantry staple ingredients in a minute? Try my favorite Biscoff mug cake recipe decadent and rich in texture and taste. As the name suggests this cake is made in a mug using microwave. The texture of the cake is moist and light, and it is packed with powerful and delicious lotus Biscoff spread flavor. This Lotus Biscoff mug cake recipe is a treat, an easiest dessert to satisfy your sweet cravings in a jiffy.
I love the Biscoff spread and had to create this recipe. This homemade mug cake has a powerful Lotus Biscoff cookie butter flavor resulting in a fluffy mug cake.
Do you like mug cakes? Try my Honey Mug Cake and Nutella Mug Cake as well.
Like cakes? Try my Ghee Cake, Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake, Victoria Sponge Cake, Lemon Yogurt Cake, Italian Almond Cake, Southern Pecan Praline Cake and Pecan Upside Down Cake.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- This easy mug cake is a quick dessert and is made within 5 minutes from start to finish.
- This tender cake is one of the best single-serving desserts.
- You only need a few basic ingredients to make this.
- This Biscoff Mug Cake is a perfect sweet treat to eat with a cup of coffee or tea.
what is biscoff?
Biscoff or Lotus Biscoff biscuits were introduced in the 1930's by a Belgian baker using wheat flour, candy syrup and fat content. The biscuits and spread are commonly used with tea and coffees or in the breakfast over a bread slice.
The Biscoff cookies have a cinnamon flavor. In addition they also give a hint of caramel-like flavor.
Fact: The Lotus Biscoff cookies and Biscoff cookie butter both are vegan products. One tablespoon of Biscoff spread contains 87 calories.
ingredients & substitutions for biscoff mug cake
Pro Tip # 1
Always use room temperature ingredients for baking (unless otherwise specified) as they incorporate better and give perfect baked treats.
- All Purpose Flour: adds base and structure to this cake.
- Baking Powder: is the leavening agent for this recipe.
- Castor sugar: gives sweetness to this mug cake. Use brown sugar or golden caster sugar as a castor sugar substitute for a more pronounced and caramelized flavor.
- Vegetable Oil: the fat content in this cake. You may also melted butter in place of vegetable oil in 1:1 ratio.
- Egg: helps to bind the cake.
- Milk: I prefer full fat milk but you can use low fat or plant based milk as well.
- Biscoff spread: use the Lotus Biscoff cookie butter.
- Peanut Butter: Use peanut butter in place of Biscoff spread in equal ratio to make a Peanut Butter mug cake.
- Nutella, Chocolate or Hazelnut Spread: Use in equal ratio of Biscoff cookies spread.
- Chocolate Chips: Add 1 - 1.5 tablespoon cup of chocolate chips for decadence.
- Chopped Nuts: Add ⅓ cup of walnuts, peanuts, pecans or hazelnuts.
how to make biscoff mug cake
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Put the milk, castor sugar, vegetable oil and egg in the mug.
2. Add in the baking powder and all purpose flour to it.
3. Using a whisk mix the batter.
4. Do not over-mix.
5. Wipe off the sides of the mug for any batter traces. It will ensure easy and even rise of the cake. Place the mug in the microwave for 60 - 90 seconds. A tooth-pick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Serve this Biscoff mug cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a scoop of ice cream of your choice.
- Lotus Biscoff Cookies: Crush a few cookies and sprinkle the crumbs on the mug cake.
- Chocolate Sauce: Drizzle on the top of the cake for an added chocolate flavor.
- Whipped Cream: Add a dollop of whipped cream and crumbled biscoff cookie over the top for added flavor.
Do not overbake: Keep an eye while the cake is cooking in the microwave. Over-baking will make the texture of the cake tough and hard that you would want to avoid. Check in 30 second intervals. Mine took about 90 seconds.
Over-mix: Mix the dry ingredients until they are incorporated well with the wet ones. Overmixing will make the cake hard and tough.
Use a large mug: for this mug cake as the cake has a leavening agent that will make it rise and it will spill out of a small mug. I use my usual coffee mug for my mug cakes.
Microwave-safe mug: it is necessary to use a microwave sage mug for this mug cake.
Wipe Off the Sides: Wiping the sides of the mug from the top will ensure a smooth and even rise of the delicious Biscoff mug cake.
Prepare the batter when you plan to bake it right away. It doesn't take much time. If you decide to prepare the batter in advance cover the mug with a cling wrap. Keep it up to 6 hours in the fridge. Stir the batter before placing the mug cake in the microwave.
Yes you may but it works fine without the spray as well.
how to store biscoff mug cake
- This Biscoff mug cake is a single serving and it is best to consume it right away.
- In case you have leftover cake then wrap the mug with a cling wrap. Place it in the fridge for upto a day. Heat the cake for a few seconds before serving.
related mug cake recipes
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Biscoff Mug Cake
- Microwave safe mug.
- 4 tablespoon all purpose flour (32 g)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (1.25 g)
- 3 tablespoon biscoff spread (45 g)
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil (41 g)
- 3 tablespoon milk (full fat) (45 ml)
- 1 egg (large)
- Take a microwave oven safe mug and add biscoff spread to it. Soften it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Add all other ingredients to the Biscoff spread.
- Mix until combined.
- Clean the sides of the mug using a paper towel and place the mug in the microwave and let it cook in the intervals of 30 seconds. It may take anywhere from 1 minute - 2 minute depending on your microwave. Mine took 90 seconds.
- Once a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, take it out and serve.