Whip up a perfect nutella mug cake without egg in a jiffy and enjoy a moist, tender and light cake. This mug cake is loaded with heavenly nutella flavor. All you need is five simple ingredients and a large mug to make this perfect dessert. This is a perfect answer to your chocolate craving when you're not in a mood to bake a full cake.
Can you imagine enjoying a sweet treat of your choice made within minutes from start to finish? This is what I love about mug cake recipes. They are simple, easy, require minimum energy, less preparation time and ready in couple of minutes.
There is so much variety you can get with mug cakes. Make them with Biscoff or Honey or in this case with a perfect chocolate hazelnut spread.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- This simple dessert requires a simple and easy method.
- This single-serving dessert is a perfect way to satisfy your sweet cravings.
- This decadent nutella cake is made with only five ingredients.
- All you need is one minute to bake this decadent treat in a microwave.
what is nutella?
Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread largely made of cocoa and palm oil. This spread was created during the World War II when an Italian baker Pietro Ferrero mixed chocolate spread with ground hazelnuts. The basic idea was to overcome the shortage of cocoa during the era.
ingredients & substitutions for nutella mug cake
- All purpose flour: gives structure to this mug cake. Substitute the all purpose flour with self raising flour. Do not forget to omit the baking powder in case you are using self raising flour.
- Baking powder: the leavening agent for this recipe.
- Milk: use whole milk for this cake.
- Vegetable Oil: you may use canola oil as well.
- Chocolate chips: Add one tablespoon of chocolate chips to the batter for chocolate flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: Add ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract in the cake batter to enhance flavor.
- Nuts: Add 1 tablespoon of nuts of your choice such as walnuts or pecans.
how to make nutella mug cake
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Gather the ingredients in the mug.
2. Mix the ingredients using a whisk.
3. Do not overmix the batter and place it in the microwave for 60 - 90 seconds until done. Insert a cake tester or tooth pick in the center and if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on the top of the cake.
- Serve this cake with fresh berries. I like raspberries or strawberries.
- Want even more nutella flavor? Top the cake with dollop of nutella.
- Serve the cake with a scoop of ice-cream flavor of your choice. I always like to serve it with vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup on the top of this easy mug cake.
No Overmixing: Do not overmix the cake batter and keep an eye while the cake is cooking in the microwave. Over baking or over cooking of the cake will give you tough and dense cake texture.
30-seconds Interval: Check the cake while it is in the microwave in 30-seconds interval as each microwave is different and the cooking depends on the power of your microwave and microwave wattage. Insert a cake tester or a tooth pick into the center of the cake once done cooking, if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
Ceramic or Microwave Safe Mug: Use a large coffee mug and a microwave safe mug for this mug cake as the cake has a leavening agent that will make it rise and it will spill out of a small mug. I use my usual coffee mug for my mug cakes.
Wipe Off the Sides: Once you've prepared the nutella cake batter wipe off the sides of the mug for a smooth and even rise of the decadent dessert.
Yes, you can. Feel free to use the chocolate hazelnut spread of your choice.
It is not necessary and you'll get the smooth cake rising without any greasing.
I do not recommend preparing the cake batter in advance as you need minimal effort or time to prepare this cake. But if need be prepare the batter in advance and wrap the mug with a plastic wrap. Keep it in the fridge for up to 6 hours. Once you are ready to put it in the microwave, stir the batter one more time.
Preheat the oven at 350 F. Place the mug cake in preheated oven for 10 - 15 minutes.
how to store nutella mug cake
- Wrap the leftover cake in the mug with a cling wrap or plastic wrap. Place the mug in the fridge for upto a day. Heat the cake for a few seconds before serving.
related mug cake recipes
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Nutella Mug Cake
- Microwave safe mug.
- Digital Scale
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 4 tablespoon all purpose flour (32 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (2.5 g)
- 3 tablespoon milk (full fat) (45 ml)
- 3 tablespoon nutella (57 g)
- Take a microwave safe mug and combine all the ingredients together.
- Using a whisk mix the ingredients until just combined.
- Once the batter is smooth place it in the microwave for 60 - 90 seconds.
- If a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean the cake is ready.