These cinnamon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are to die-for. They are easy to make and gone before you know. These cupcakes are moist, fluffy and light and the creamy smooth frosting will further enhance the strong cinnamon flavor. Love small treats? Try my Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes and Vanilla Cupcakes with Oil as well. Also try my Praline Apple Cake recipe or Apple Cinnamon Muffins if you like cinnamon flavor like me.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- These cinnamon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are very easy to bake.
- You will find the ingredients easily in your pantry.
- The texture is light, fluffy and moist.
- Serve them at birthdays, friends gatherings or weddings.
ingredients for cinnamon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
Pro Tip # 1
Always use room temperature ingredients for baking (unless otherwise specified) as they incorporate better and give perfect baked treats.
Butter: use high-quality unsalted butter for these cupcakes.
All-Purpose Flour: provides structure to these cupcakes. Use a digital scale to measure it properly for perfect results.
Cinnamon Powder: is the hero ingredient of this recipe.
Vanilla Extract: enhances the flavor of these cupcakes.
Eggs: binding agent that binds the batter together and helps with the texture and rise of the cupcakes.
Baking Powder: rising agent that helps with the height/rise the cupcakes.
Salt: balances the sugar and further enhances the flavor.
Castor Sugar, Brown Sugar: the sugars are the sweetening agent in this bake.
Sour Cream: provides fat content that helps to make light and fluffy cupcakes.
Pro Tip # 2
Always use a digital scale to measure all-purpose flour and other dry ingredients for perfect results. Scooping it out directly using cups may result in uneven amount of dry ingredients and dense bakes.
how to make cinnamon cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1. Sift the dry ingredients together and set them aside.
2. Beat the butter until light and fluffy for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in the sugars in the butter and mix until combined well.
4. Add eggs, one by one, and mix until well incorporated. Now add the sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix again until well incorporated.
5. Add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
6. Mix until well-incorporated.
7. Using the ice-cream scoop, pour in the batter in the cupcake liners.
8. Bake in the preheated oven at 350 F for 19 - 23 minutes until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool the Cupcakes Completely: I know it is tempting to start frosting the cupcakes right out of the oven. But you have to wait until the cupcakes are completely cool to frost them. If you will frost the cupcakes while they are hot or warm, the icing will melt and you will have a mess to deal with. Be patient before frosting these beauties.
Avoid Over-Mixing: Avoid the over-mixing of the cupcakes batter or you will get the tough and hard cupcakes. Over-mixing will activate the gluten strands in the all-purpose flour which will make the texture tough.
Absolutely – I use ½ teaspoon but you may use ¾ or 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder. It depends on your taste.
Yes – you may use fresh yogurt (stain he yogurt before using), full-fat milk or buttermilk in the same quantity for this recipe instead of the sour cream.
Do not fill the cupcakes more than ¾ of the cup cake liners. The more you fill it, the more it has chances to rise like muffins, which we want to avoid.
Yes – if you are using salted butter, take out the salt of the recipe.
how to store
- You can keep the cupcakes (without frosting) for up to 2 days in an air-tight jar.
- These cupcakes will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To freeze the cupcakes (without frosting), wrap each cupcake with plastic wrap and add a layer of foil. You can stash it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
related cupcake and cake recipes
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Cinnamon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 muffin tin
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 2 medium-sized bowls
- 1 Digital Scale
- 1 Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 12 Cupcake liners
- 1 Ice-cream scoop (3 tablespoon)
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour (160 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (4 g)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (1.2 g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder (1.38 g)
- 5 tablespoon butter (unsalted) (76 g) room temperature
- ½ cup castor sugar (100 g)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (65 g) packed
- 2 eggs (large)
- ⅓ cup sour cream (82 g) room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (113 g) room temperature
- 3 tablespoon butter (unsalted) (43 g) room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar (240 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12-cupcake pan/tin with cake liners and set aside.
- Take a bowl and sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon. Whisk the ingredients together and set aside.
- Take another large bowl and beat the butter until it is smooth and creamy with an electric mixer at medium speed. It will take 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the white sugar and brown sugar and beat again for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one after another, beating to mix well after each addition.
- Add in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Take the dry ingredients, add to the wet ingredients and mix with the electric beater at low speed just until combined well.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, fill in the cake liners until they are ⅔ full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 19 - 23 minutes or until a wooden skewer insterted into the center comes out clean without any liquid.
- Once baked, wait for the cupcakes to cool down properly before applying the frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer for 3 - 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix on low speed to incorporate well.
- Beat the frosting until it is light and fluffy.
- Apply the frosting to the cupcakes once they are cooled completely.