These strawberry crunch cupcakes are packed with strawberry flavor and frosted with the smooth silky cream cheese frosting and filled with a yummy strawberry filling. These cupcakes are overloaded with strawberries with an amazing Strawberry Crunch Topping. Are you a fan of strawberries like me? Make Strawberry Jam (without pectin) and my all-time favorite Victoria Sponge Cake.
These strawberry crunch cupcakes are a combination of three things – perfectly moist cupcakes, smooth silky cream cheese frosting and crunchy strawberry topping. Ohh, and did I forget mentioning about the strawberry filling in the cupcakes?
If you grew up like me in the 90’s you would remember the famous strawberry shortcake ice cream bars that we all enjoyed in the school cafeteria. Just imagine recreating that nostalgic memory in a cupcake.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- These strawberry crunch cupcakes are super easy to bake.
- This recipe needs a few ingredients and a simple method to bake.
- These cupcakes are super moist, light and fluffy filled with strawberries.
ingredients for strawberry crunch cupcakes
Pro Tip # 1
Always use room temperature ingredients for baking (unless otherwise specified) as they incorporate better and give perfect baked treats.
- All Purpose Flour: the base of strawberry crunch cupcakes.
- Castor Sugar: for sweetness in the cupcakes.
- Baking Powder: the leavening agent to give lift to the cupcakes.
- Vanilla Extract: enhances the overall flavor.
- Buttermilk: adds fats and fluffy cupcakes and brings tang to the overall flavor.
- Vegetable Oil: keep the cupcakes moist.
- Eggs: helps with firm structure of the cupcakes.
- Salt: balances the sweetness and enhances the overall flavor.
- Strawberry Jam: for the filling.
- Strawberries: use fresh and cut in small pieces.
cream cheese frosting
- Butter (unsalted): use high quality butter. (Tip: omit salt if using salted butter.)
- Cream cheese: use cream cheese at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract: enhances the frosting flavor.
- Salt: balances the sweetness.
- Powdered/Icing Sugar
Pro Tip # 2
Always use a digital scale to measure all-purpose flour and other dry ingredients for perfect results. Scooping it out directly using cups may result in uneven amount of dry ingredients and dense bakes.
how to make strawberry crunch cupcakes
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1. Whisk all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Cream oil and sugar and add in the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
3. Beat the mixture for 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until mixed.
5. With an icecream scoop, fill in the cupcake liners about ⅔ and leaving the space on the top.
6. Bake the cupcakes at 350 F for 18 – 22 minutes. Insert a wooden skewer in the center and if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are ready.
Gather the ingredients for strawberry filling.
7. Mix the strawberries and strawberry jam.
8. Cut a small hole in the center of the cupcakes or use clean finger to form a well in the cupcake.
9. Fill the center with the strawberry mixture.
cream cheese frosting
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy in texture.
2. Add salt, vanilla extract in the cream cheese and butter mixture and mix until combined.
3. Gradually add in the icing sugar and beat constantly until the texture is silky and creamy.
4. Fill in the piping bag with cream cheese frosting.
5. Pipe the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
6. Sprinkle or dip the cupcakes in the strawberry crunch topping.
Tip: Here is the recipe for the Strawberry Crunch Topping. You will find the step-by-step instructions to prepare it within minutes.
Let the Cupcakes Cool Completely: Completely cool the cupcakes at room temperature before applying frosting. Icing warm cupcakes will result in runny icing.
Room Temperature Ingredients: Use all ingredients at room temperature so that they will emulsify with each other easily. Otherwise, you might not be able to get the perfect cupcakes. Use buttermilk, butter and eggs at room temperature.
No Overmixing: Make sure that you do not overmix the batter or it will result in tough texture. Overmixing activates the gluten in the flour which results in hard cupcakes. Mix the wet and dry ingredients until combined.
Do no over-whip the frosting: It is very easy to over-whip the cream cheese frosting. Beat the frosting for about 1 – 2 minutes until you get a smooth texture. Over-beating will result in grainy frosting.
I use Wilton M 1 tip to pipe these cupcakes. You can use any tip of your choice.
how to store
- Store these Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- I do not recommend freezing these cupcakes as they will go soggy once you take them out of the freezer and thaw them. You may freeze the cupcakes without frosting and strawberry filling for up to 2 months. Thaw the cupcakes before icing them.
related strawberry recipes
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes
- 1 Muffin tray
- 3 Mixing bowls
- 1 electric beater
- 1 Spatulas
- 1 Digital Scale
- 1 Piping bag
- 1 Piping tip
- Muffin liners
- 1 ice-cream scoop
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour (150 g)
- 1 cup castor sugar (200 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder (9 g)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (13 ml)
- ½ cup butter milk (120 ml)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (30 g)
- 2 tablespoon sour cream (28 g)
- 2 eggs (large)
- ½ cup strawberries (72 g) chopped in small pieces
- ¼ cup strawberry jam (79 g)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter (unsalted) room temeprature
- 8 oz cream cheese (113 g) room temperature
- 4 cup icing/powdered sugar (500 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (7.5 ml)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to350 F. Set the 12-muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Take a large bowl and cream together oil and sugar. Add in the eggs, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract and mix for 2 – 3 minutes until well-incorporated.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently stir until combined.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, fill in the cupcake liners about ⅔ leaving the space on the top.
- Place the muffin tray in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 18 – 22 minutes until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the strawberry pieces and the jam.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled. Cut a small hole in the center of the cupcakes. You can also form a well by using your finger. Fill the center with the strawberry mixture.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until it is lump free and creamy in texture.
- Add the salt, vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Gradually add in the icing sugar while beating constantly until the texture is silky and creamy.