This homemade strawberry crunch topping recipe is as easy as it can get. With only three basic ingredients and a few minutes on hand you’ll be able to make this easy strawberry shortcake crumble. It is crunchy, crispy, flavorful, bursting with strawberry flavor that is perfect to pair with cupcakes, cakes, cheesecakes, pies, ice-cream and much more. If you like strawberries try my Victoria Sandwich Cake and Strawberry Jam (without pectin) as well.
For this strawberry crunch topping or crumble we are using Golden Oreos, strawberry Jell-O and butter. The method is easy and simple and if you are a strawberry lover, you will love this crunchy crumble that will enhance the flavor of your desserts.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- Very easy: this is as easy as it can get.
- 3-Ingredients: you only need three ingredients to make this recipe.
- One bowl: you only need 5 minutes to prepare and one bowl for this crunch topping.
- Versatile topping: this topping is totally to die for that can be used in cakes, pies, ice creams and what not.
ingredients & substitutions for strawberry crunch topping
- Golden Oreos: you'll need 24 cookies. Use the 14-ounce packet of Golden Oreos. Replace the Golden Oreos cookies with any vanilla sandwich crème cookie of your choice. Use Nilla wafers (vanilla-flavored) in 1:1 ratio to Golden Oreos in this recipe.
- Jell-O (Strawberry): use one 3 oz packet. This is the key to fragrant strawberry flavor in the crumble. Use any Jell-O flavor like lemon, raspberry, orange, pineapple, cherry or blueberry if you prefer instead of the strawberry Jell-O.
- Butter: use melted butter to bind this topping together. I used unsalted butter. Replace the butter with any plant-based butter to make the topping dairy free.
- Pinch of salt: this is optional but enhances the overall flavor.
- Extract: use ½ teaspoon of strawberry or lemon extract to get the extra punch of flavor in the topping.
how to make strawberry crunch topping
1. Use a plastic bag and place the cookies in the bag and pound them using a rolling pin.
2. Take a bowl and add the Oreos crumble to it. Add in the strawberry Jell-O and melted butter.
3. Mix these three ingredients together and spread on a silicone mat in a baking tray.
4. Place into oven at 350 F for 8 minutes to bake.
5. Let it cool for 30 minutes before transferring it into an airtight container or before using.
Incorporate Butter fully: you’ll want to make sure that the butter is well incorporated in the strawberry crunch topping or you will not the desired results. The butter will bind this crunch together and you would want the butter to distribute evenly.
No Over-Pulsing: of the Golden Oreos or over beat them with the rolling pin. You want big and small pieces in this recipe to get the perfect crunch in every bite.
Store in an airtight container: store the strawberry crumble in an airtight container to keep it fresh and crunchy.
Food Processor: Use food processor to make the oreos crumble. Place the cookies in the food processor and pulse it for a few times until you get the crumbs.
You will be amazed to know that Golden Oreos cookies are vegan. So, it is absolutely safe to use this cookies. The only thing you need to take care if butter, just replace it with a plant-based butter to make it vegan.
Yes, you can. Just use any gluten-free golden oreos and you will get the gluten-free strawberry crunch crumble.
Yes, absolutely. Use 1 cup of freeze-dried strawberries in the recipe and use a food processor to make a powder of the strawberries.
Unfortunately, no. If you have fresh strawberries, then you will have to dry them in the oven first before using in this recipe.
It gets the name of shortcake topping from the old Good Humors Strawberry Shortcake frozen treats that most of us grew up with. The shortcake also means a cake, cookie or biscuit which is crunchy and crumbly in nature. 'Short' refers to the crispy texture made using butter or any other sort of fat.
how to store strawberry crunch topping
- Place the strawberry crunch topping in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- The crunch topping will do fine in the fridge to up to 2 months in an airtight container.
- Freeze the strawberry crunch topping in a sealed bag or an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Related strawberry recipes
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- Rolling Pin
- Food processor
- Baking Tray
- Silicone Mat
- Rubber Spatula
- 24 golden oreos cookies
- 1 box strawberry flavor (3 oz)
- 4 tablespoon butter (57 g) melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking tray with silicone mat and set aside.
- Place the golden oreos in a food processor and turn them into small pieces or crumbles. You may also use a plastic bag, place the cookies in the bag and pound them using a rolling pin.
- Take a bowl and add the oreos crumble to it. Add in the strawberry jell-O and melted butter. Mix these three ingredients gently until combined.
- Spread the mixture on silicone mat and bake for about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool for about 30 minutes before using.