This Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake is an absolute joy for those who want to enjoy a quick treat without compromising on the flavors. Imagine making a fluffy cinnamon roll decorated with a cinnamon swirl and drizzled with a glaze in a minute? Gather a handful of ingredients, pick up a microwave-safe mug of your choice and voila. The best part is that you can make this single-serve mug recipe anytime of the day without putting an effort. It can't get any simpler and any better than this.
As the name suggests a mug cake is simply a cake in a mug and they are the simplest and easiest of the desserts ever possible. That is why I love making them every now and then.
There are so many varieties that you can enjoy with mug cakes such as Biscoff Mug Cake, Honey Mug Cake or my all-time favorite Nutella Mug Cake. The possibilities are endless.
Even if you have not have a mugcake before and trying it for the first time, you'll be very happy with the results of this single-serving dessert. The texture is amazing with a fluffy, light, tender and moist crumb.
Regular cinnamon rolls are a great dessert but they need some proper planning and tricks to make and not everyone is wired to make them easily. The addition of yeast makes it a time taking process as well. The solution is simple, make this easy cinnamon roll mug cake and forget about baking an entire batch of cinnamon rolls.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- Make this cinnamon roll mug cake with a few basic ingredients and pantry staples in five minutes from start to end.
- Enjoy this perfect treat with no need to knead, to rise the dough or to roll the cinnamon roll with this recipe.
- You'll not compromise on the flavors and get the same results as of the traditional cinnamon rolls.
- It is a perfect way and a perfect quick fix for your sweet tooth and cravings.
- Add further to the cinnamon mug cake by adding a cinnamon swirl and a perfect glaze.
ingredients & substitutions for lemon zucchini bread
Pro Tip # 1
Always use room temperature ingredients for baking (unless otherwise specified) as they incorporate better and give perfect baked treats.
- all purpose flour: gives structure to this mug cake. You may also use wheat flour to make it as well. Want a gluten free cake? Use gluten-free pancake mix, gluten-free flour blend or almond flour to make it gluten free.
- baking powder: leavening agent that provides lift to this cinnamon roll mug cake.
- brown sugar: adds flavor and texture to this cake. You may use other sugar substitute like honey, granulated sugar or maple syrup as well.
- ground cinnamon: the hero ingredient of this recipe.
- milk: use full fat milk for this recipe but you can also use low fat or 2 % milk but the texture of the cake will be different with low fat milk.
- vegetable oil: provides stability and moistness to the cake. You may use melted butter as a substitute as well. Applesauce or coconut oil can be good substitutes as well.
- vanilla extract: adds flavor to this mug cake.
Cinnamon Swirl Topping:
- brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- powdered sugar: 2 tablespoon
- lemon juice or milk: 1 teaspoon milk
Pro Tip # 2
Always use a digital scale to measure all-purpose flour and other dry ingredients for perfect results. Scooping it out directly using cups may result in uneven amount of dry ingredients and dense bakes.
variations cinnamon roll mug cake
- chocolate chips: add 1 - 2 tablespoon of chocolate chips to the batter and sprinkle a few chips on the top before placing the mug cake in the microwave.
- cream cheese frosting: make a cream cheese frosting and drizzle over the cinnamon roll mug cake instead of the glaze. To prepare cream cheese frosting, mix together powdered sugar (4 tablespoon), cream cheese (softened)(2 tablespoon) and mix until you get the desired consistency.
how to make cinnamon roll mug cake
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
1. Whisk the dry ingredients in a small bowl and add them to the microwave safe mug.
2. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients for the cinnamon roll mug cake.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients using a whisk until combined.
4. Clean the edges of the microwave safe mug and then sprinkle the cinnamon mixture on the top of the batter. Place it in the microwave and cook for 60 - 90 seconds.
microwave safe mug: always use a mug that is microwave safe before making a mug cake. Also make sure that you use a large mug so that the cake batter will not spill while cooking in the microwave.
30-second intervals: cook this mug cake in 30-second intervals. Every microwave is different and the cooking time will vary depending on different brands of the microwave. To ensure perfect cooking, let the mug cake cook in the microwave in 30-seconds intervals, checking after each 30 seconds. Mine takes about 90 seconds to cook perfectly.
I have not tried that yet but with my experience with some other mug cakes, you may try to bake it in a preheated oven at 350 F for about 13 - 15 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. I have not tried this cinnamon roll mug cake recipe in an air-fryer as well but you can try by making it in the air fryer at 350 F for about 8 - 9 minutes.
There are a few options such as a small ceramic bowl or a ramekin of your choice.
I usually go for a 14 oz mug so that the cake stays within the mug and would not spill during the cooking process.
Use soy milk or any other nut milk such as almond milk or cashew milk to make it a dairy free mug cake. But know that the texture of the cake will be different than using the regular milk.
I have not tried it using coconut flour but you may try and its most likely you'll get a good cinnamon roll mug cake. The texture will be a bit different than the regular cinnamon mug cake. Do let me know about the results in the comments in case you've tried it with coconut flour.
how to store cinnamon roll mug cake
- Mug cakes are single serving desserts and its best to consume it right away. In case of left-over cinnamon roll mug cake, wrap a plastic wrap on the mug and store in the fridge for up to a day. When you want to serve, take the mug cake out of the fridge, let it sit on the counter for a few hours and re-heat in microwave for a few seconds before eating.
related mug cake recipes
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (30 g)
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar (28 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (3 g)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (1.5 g)
- ¼ cup milk (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (14 g)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (1 g)
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar (7 g)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (1.5 g)
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar (8 g)
- 1 teaspoon milk (5 g)
- Take a microwave safe mug.
- Add in the all-purpose flour, baking powder, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract and mix again.
- In a bowl, add brown sugar and cinnamon powder and mix together. Sprinkle it on the top of the cake.
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook it for 60 - 90 seconds until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Pour the glaze once the cake has cooled.