These baked honey lemon pepper wings are a treat for all the chicken wings lover out there. These wings are sour, zesty, citrusy and perfectly spiced with lemon pepper seasoning. Follow a simple method - prepare the marination, bake the wings and toss them to a homemade hot honey sauce. It is a perfect appetizer for your dinners and lunches with a sweet kick. Enjoy these honey lemon pepper wings with our favorite Tuna Corn Salad, Peri Peri Sauce and Masala Fries.
I love simple chicken recipes like Buffalo Chicken Thighs or my all time favorite Lemon Pepper Drumsticks. Not only chicken is economical to make, these dishes can be a hero dish perfect to be served at a dinner, potluck, game day or any gathering.
In my house, we make these honey lemon pepper wings every now and then. They are perfectly crisp and crunchy on the outside and juicy and super moist on the inside.
These chicken wings recipe is simply the best.
Table of Contents
why this recipe works?
- These honey lemon pepper wings are made with simple ingredients.
- It is economical and with 2 lbs of chicken wings you can feed the whole family.
- The sweet and sour taste will make you crave for more.
- Use a convection oven or an air fryer to make them.
- It is a protein rich recipe.
- Serve it as a main course or an appetizer.
ingredients & substitutions for honey lemon pepper wings
Ingredients for Chicken Wings.
Ingredients for Honey Lemon Pepper sauce.
- Whole Chicken Wings: use chicken wings with skin for best results. Use wingettes and drumettes or just one as per your choice.
- Baking powder: helps the chicken wings to be crispy and get the brown color. Do not substitute it with baking soda.
- Corn starch: adds crispiness to the wings. Use Potato Starch as a subsitute.
- Garlic powder: you may also use ½ teaspoon of chopped garlic or frozen minced garlic.
- Onion powder: use 1 tablespoon of chopped onion.
- Black pepper: adds flavor. Use freshly cracked black pepper if possible for best results.
- Paprika powder: you may substitute it with ½ teaspoon of red chili flakes or cayenne pepper.
Honey Lemon Pepper Glaze:
- Olive oil: gives moisture to the sauce.
- Fresh Lemon juice: adds tangy citrusy flavor.
- Buffalo sauce or hot sauce: for a kick in this sauce.
- Honey: use fresh honey or substitute it with maple syrup.
- Lemon pepper seasoning
how to make honey lemon pepper wings
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Combine all spices and chicken wings into a large bowl.
2. Mix the spices thoroughly into the chicken wings.
3. Place the chicken wings on a wire rack over a baking tray.
4. Bake the chicken wings in a preheated 425 F for 20 - 25 minutes.
5. Prepare the honey lemon pepper sauce.
6. Toss the chicken wings in the sauce and serve hot.
- Enjoy these Honey Lemon Pepper Wings with Peri Peri Sauce.
- Dip the chicken wings in the ranch dressing for an added flavor.
- Serve it with fresh lemon slices.
Dry The Wings: Pat dry the chicken wings with a paper towel or kitchen towel before marinating them in spices. Dry chicken wings will ensure perfect cooking.
Thaw: the wings properly as it is necessary for the marination to penetrate through the chicken wings. Do not use frozen wings.
Be Careful with Salt: The lemon pepper seasoning contains salt in it so you want to be careful with the amount of salt in this recipe. Taste it and then add more salt, if required or your wings can turn salty pretty quickly.
Deep frying: If you want extra crispy honey lemon pepper wings with golden brown color then you can deep fry them too. However, if you are keeping an eye on the calories then you would want to avoid deep frying the chicken wings as it will be loaded with calories.
Yes, it is very simple to make the seasoning. Take a small bowl and add 2 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest, ½ teaspoon of black pepper (fresh) and ½ teaspoon of salt. Mix it well and sprinkle over the chicken wings.
Absolutely - my all time favorite meat is dark meat or the chicken thighs and legs. Use bone-in and skin-on thighs and enjoy the best thighs or drumsticks. I make Lemon Pepper Drumsticks frequently, you may want to check it.
Yes, very easily. Depending on the number of people you want to feed double or triple the recipe.
how to store
- Store the leftover honey lemon pepper wings in an airtight container and place in the fridge for 3 days.
- For storing the chicken wings in the freezer, I recommend to freeze only the baked chicken wings and do not toss them in the sauce as it will make them soggy afterwards. Arrange the chicken wings in the baking tray and place it in the freezer. Once the chicken wings have hardened in about an hour, take them out and place them in a ziploc bag or an airtight container. It will stay good for up to 2 months in the freezer.
how to re-heat honey lemon pepper wings
- Take out the leftover wings out of the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge overnight. Next day, heat them in the preheated oven at 400 F for about 5 - 6 minutes or microwave it in 30 seconds intervals until they are warm enough to be served.
related chicken recipes
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
- Baking Sheet
- Wire rack.
- Parchment paper or silicone mats
- Large mixing bowls.
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon corn flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
Honey Lemon Pepper Sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (27 g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (15 g)
- 1 tablespoon buffalo sauce or hot sauce (13 g)
- 2 tablespoon honey (43 g)
- 2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (10 g)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Pat dry the chicken wings to absorb any moisture. You want the chicken wings as dry as possible for crispy wings.
- Take a large bowl and add all the spices to it.
- Add the chicken wings and toss them in the spices.
- Place the chicken wings on a baking dish with parchment paper or silicone mat. You may also add a layer of foil to the baking tray and place a wire rack over it.
- Bake the chicken wings for about 45 minutes. Flip the side around 20 minutes so that both sides are crispier.
Lemon Pepper Sauce
- Take a large bowl and add all the spices to it. Stir.
- Add the baked chicken wings and mix until the sauce is coated evenly.
- Serve hot.