These flavorful Lemon Pepper Drumsticks have a crispy skin, full of lemony flavor and they are finger-licking good. With only a few basic ingredients you can bake these delicious chicken legs in 30 minutes for an easy lunch or a scrumptious dinner. Pair this chicken dish with a variety of side dishes to make it a full and healthy meal.
Make this lemon pepper chicken legs recipe when you crave for easy chicken dinners. These legs have a crispier skin outside and a juicy, meaty, tender meat inside with loads of flavor. This recipe requires minimal effort and an easy cleanup.
I enjoy making recipes using chicken as there are unlimited varieties you can try with chicken just like my Buffalo Chicken Thighs. Also, chicken is economical and you can feed a lot of people easily. Serve these drumsticks with Peri Peri Mayonnaise or Masala Fries.
When it comes to chicken, I love and prefer the dark meat as it is juicier and tender as compared to the chicken breast. I often get my hands around recipes for chicken legs using different methods and spices. This recipe is one of my favorites for obvious reasons - it requires a handful of spices, an easy method and just 30 minutes. You get easy, quick, versatile chicken legs with ton of flavor to enjoy with the whole family. Yummy.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works?
- It is easy, simple and super delicious.
- It is a delicious dinner recipe made with a few simple ingredients.
- It is one of the healthy recipes which is low carb and high in protein.
- This recipe has the perfect blend of spices and a squeeze of lemon citrus.
- This is an affordable meal.
- Chicken drumsticks: are inexpensive to buy and the meat is moist and juicy.
- Lemon juice: use fresh lemon juice for great flavor.
- Olive oil: helps to get crispier skin on the top of the legs because of its richness.
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Black pepper: use fresh black pepper for flavor.
- Salt: use kosher salt or table salt.
These are basic process shots for this recipe. For detailed instructions refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Combine all spices into a large bowl with chicken legs.
2. Mix the spices thoroughly into the chicken legs. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
3. Place the chicken legs on the wire rack over a baking tray.
4. Bake at preheated oven at 425 F for 45 minutes. Flip the chicken legs around 20 minutes to ensure crispier skin and even baking on both sides.
- Baking sheet or sheet pan.
- Parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Large bowl.
- Citrus zester.
- Lemon Juice: Use bottled lemon juice in case you do not have fresh lemons at home. However, for a refreshing and fresh taste I recommend using fresh lemons.
- Bread Crumbs: To make them crunchier, add ¼ cup of bread crumbs in the marination. The marination with bread crumbs will provide crunch in every bite.
- Crispy Skin: Once the chicken is done baking broil them at high speed for 2 - 3 minutes until you get the desired crispy skin.
- Mashed Potatoes: Serve these drumsticks with mashed potatoes, a classic side dish which is an all time favorite.
- Grilled Vegetables: Serve the chicken legs with a variety of vegetables of your choice. I usually like to pair it with grilled peppers, brussels sprouts and onions.
- Salads: I love these drumsticks with Tuna Corn Salad or any other salad you fancy.
- Fresh lemon Squeeze: Squeeze a splash of fresh lemon juice over the baked chicken legs to give it another powerful citrusy flavor.
- Boiled Rice: Serve these drumsticks with boiled white basmati rice.
Skin or Skinless: It depends on the personal choice to bake these chicken drumsticks with skin or without skin. I like with chicken skin as the skin has flavor and also gives a crunch and crispiness to these baked legs. But if you want to cut on calories you may want to take off the skin as the skin has saturated fats in it.
Marination: Be sure to marinate the chicken legs for at least one hour. You may marinate them for longer duration as well so that the flavor can be infused even more.
Grill: Use grill to cook these chicken legs and place them on a grill at medium-high heat (375 F - 400 F) for about 25 - 30 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
A simple method to check if the chicken is ready by using an instant thermometer. Insert the meat thermometer or instant-read thermometer in the chicken and if the internal temperature reaches at 165 F then your chicken is soft and tender and fully cooked. Take it out of the oven.
Yes, absolutely. Replace the drumsticks in same number with chicken thighs for this recipe.
Yes, this recipe is air fryer friendly. Follow the procedure for the recipe and set your air fryer at 400 F. Cook the chicken legs for about 20 - 25 minutes. Do not forget to flip the chicken legs half way down the cooking time.
How To Store
- To Refrigerate: Place the leftover chicken legs in an air-tight container and place it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Freeze: Wrap the individual drumsticks in plastic wrap and place them in an air-tight container or bag and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the chicken legs before serving.
How to Re-heat
- Air Fryer: Set the air fryer at 400 F and place the lemon pepper drumsticks in the air fryer basket and bake for about 4 minutes.
- Oven: Preheat the oven at 400 F and place the leftover drumsticks on the baking tray. Bake for 8 minute until heated completely.
- Microwave: Place the chicken legs in a microwavable plate and place it in the microwave and heat in 30 seconds intervals till heated completely.
Did you make this recipe and loved it? Give it a 5-star 🌟 rating with a comment. Join our Now Delish newsletter to get a free ebook and weekly recipes. Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and Tiktok as well.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Lemon Pepper Drumsticks
- Baking tray or sheet pan.
- silicone mat or parchment paper
- large bowl
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks (with skin) (about 8 drumsticks)
- 1 lemon zested (4 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (10 g)
- 2 cloves garlic (10 - 14 g)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (13 g)
- Preheat the oven at 425 F.
- Take a large bowl and add chicken pieces to it. Add all the spices to it and stir well until the spices are nicely coated on the pieces.
- Add a foil layer on a baking tray and place a wire rack over it.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on the wire rack.
- Bake for about 40 - 45 minutes and flip the side at 25 minutes to ensure crispy skin on both sides.
- Serve hot.